Saturday, March 12, 2005

Fat Dutch Kid Video

Ok, this video was wayyyyyy too funny, so I had to post a link and some info:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/lyle_24/myhero.html

--The link sometimes takes a while to load up, so you might just want to cut and paste it.

By the way, he is not really Dutch - the kid, Gary Brolsma, is from New Jersey. Anyways, he was featured on NBC’s “Today” show and made VH-1’s “Best Week Ever” list in February.

Can you believe, the New York Times even wrote a story about the video clip and its star?

">The New York Times > New York Region > Internet Fame Is Cruel Mistress for a Dancer of the Numa Numa

And other media also grabbed a hold of the story, see below.

MSNBC - You go, Gary! ‘Numa’ takes Web by storm


I'd like to point out here how amazing it is that something as inane as a 19 year old kid lyp-syncing in front of his web cam could end up snowballing into a pop-culture phenomenon. Something tells me we'll see it on MTV's "I love the 05's" in the next few years.

In fact, it's already been re-done - and on this second one, the two men - one claiming to be Mexican, the other Asian, they comment on the video (via writing) that they are doing this because of "culture."

Numa Numa Remix

So for those of us who think our posts obscure, keep blogging. People are watching.


And for inquiring minds:

The song is: Dragostea din tei (which means love under the linden tree)

And apparently there are two versions, by two different groups: O-zone and haiducii

*** Original Romanian: ***
Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haa

Alo, salut, sunt eu, un haiduc,
Si te rog, iubirea mea, primeste fericirea.
Alo, alo, sunt eu Picasso,
Ti-am dat beep, si sunt voinic,
Dar sa stii nu-ti cer nimic.

Refrain:
Vrei sa pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei,
Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei.
Chipul tau si dragostea din tei,
Mi-amintesc de ochii tai.

Te sun, sa-ti spun, ce simt acum,
Alo, iubirea mea, sunt eu, fericirea.
Alo, alo, sunt iarasi eu, Picasso,
Ti-am dat beep, si sunt voinic,
Dar sa stii nu-ti cer nimic.

(Refrain)
Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hooMa-ia-haa

*** English (strict translation) ***

Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haa
Hello, it's me, a haiduc*
And I pray, my love, embrace the happiness
Hello, hello, it's me - Picasso!
I gave you beep (like on a pager/cell phone), and i'm brave/strong
But you should know that I'm not asking for anything from you.

Refrain:
You want to go, but you don't take me, no
You don't take me, no, you don't take me noo..
Your face and the love under the linden trees
Remind me of your eyes.

I'm calling you, to say, what I'm feeling now
Hello, my love, it's me - happiness!
Hello, hello, it's me again, Picasso,
I gave you beep (like on a pager/cell phone), and i'm brave/strong
But you should know that I'm not asking for anything from you.

(Refrain)
Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haa

* haiduc = word defining a brave man, fighting for freedom and justice and living somewhere between robbery and heroism (just like Robin Hood)

Translation is compiled from:
Romania - Dragostea Din Tei - Lyrics in Romanian and English
O-Zone Dragostea

1 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Alby said...

Oh, that is funny! Sucks for that guy (since I'm guessing he left his webcam on without noticing), but hilarious for us. :-)

And that song is catchy as heck...
"Vrei sa pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei,
Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei.
Chipul tau si dragostea din tei,
Mi-amintesc de ochii tai.
Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haa!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home